
Walking home this evening, I was surrounded by the perfect October night. The full, bright, moon was playing peek a boo through the dark and ominous clouds. The wind was incredible, as only wind can be in Chicago. It wasn't the one direction, hit you as you walk around the corner type wind, but the coming at you from every possible angle, take your hat off by surprise kind of wind.
I found myself in a strange position that I am unsure if it is the greatest or the worst feeling ever.
As I walked down the tree lined streets to my apartment building, I could hear the wind roar big and mighty gusts through the trees. Papers were flying everywhere, people were walking grasping and clinging to their coats, purses, hats, hair. The leaves in the trees above me were in a state of hysteria.
And I, I walked along not feeling the wind, at all. My hair was in place, my jacket hung gently to my sides, I did not even feel a light breeze. It was as if everything around me was in utter chaos blowing aimlessly and hopelessly, and I was not part of it.
I reached my apartment and opened my meditation book. October 6 said this: "There are two ways to feel the wind: climb into the open and be still or keep moving." There are times in our lives when we need to be still, and there are times in our lives when we need to move with the wind, or against it, or even create our own wind. The problem is figuring out when to move and when to stop.
What happens when you see the wind, but can't feel the wind? What does that mean? I kept walking that is for sure. Maybe my difficulty is that I have trouble standing still. If I would have stopped, could I have begun to feel the universe around me whirl through my soul? Or was it better that I kept moving simply making my own wind in the progress?
The trouble for us is finding the happy medium; letting the world around you twirl itself uncontrollably, and being at peace with that feeling, yet still knowing exactly what your own wind feels like and when to create it.
No comments:
Post a Comment