Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Chicago Triathlon: Team NO Wetsuit

The weekend began with a bundle of nerves. I am rarely nervous for athletic competition.

I realized how sickly competitive I am, however, this weekend. I was about to jump into 62 degree water, no wetsuit, having not swam in Lake Michigan ONCE all summer, and I was not worried about my health. I was worried that if something WERE to happen, say hypothermia or panic because of cold water, I would have to be removed from the water and NOT be able to finish the race. I was getting myself through that mile swim no matter what it took.

And I did.

I slathered myself in vaseline, wore two caps, earplugs and for the one and only time in my life was grateful for the fat cells I have on my body.

It was comforting to be able to breath to my left and see the crowd the entire swim. Thus I saw my friends, other on-lookers, and more importantly I saw my Dad and my Mom. My eternal fans.


1 comment:

even pretty girls need to read said...

TEAM NO WETSUIT!

Parents are the best!!