Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Soundtrack of My Life


Remember the old days of CD's? When 'burning' a CD was 'the thing to do', and we all had mounds of burned CD's spewed across our cars? I came across an old case full of burned CD's from times long, long ago and could not help but indulge myself in nostalgic memories of my past and the person I was.

The weekend was more than anyone could ask for. Filled with family and friends who make my life complete and remind me of what truly is important in our meagre existence; we danced, we sang, we drank, we ate, we swam, and we even managed to break a toilet. Ranger even made an appearance, now formally known as "Joe Lake" amongst my family, and it was phenomenal. I can only do so much justice with words to the amount of love and joy that my family brings to the world around us.

I had spent the weekend singing "Stewball" (you know the race horse who never drank water, only wine......well if you don't you should), John Denver, Rawhide, oh and Green Marijuana. It was only appropriate to continue putting down the soundtrack to the weekend by popping in some unmarked burnt CD's and taking many a trip down memory lane.

One of my favorite things about music is its uncanny ability to take you out of your current existing self and automatically put you in a time and place where you existed in a much different way, yet there is a huge connection to that identity of so long ago.

I would like to share some of the highlights. The
first track that had me crying in the car all by myself from laughing so hysterically was none other than, Backstreet Boys "Bad Boy". I just have to share some of the genius lyrics:

If you want it to be wild
Gotta know just who to dial baby (that's me)
If you really like it hot
Find someone who hits the spot honey (oh yes)


If you want it to be good girl get yourself a BAD BOY!





Now, in 6th grade not only did I have no clue what it meant to be 'wild', but I also thought that when you 'hit the spot' it meant you had a really good ice cream cone, or indulged in a really great piece of chocolate cake. All I can say is thank God I now know what it really means...thank you Ranger! No just kidding...kind of.

Next up on the playlist of memory lane is...the CD compilation put together for Valentines Day and given to me by my high school sweetheart who is now one of my greatest friends, Matthew Scott Ninke. The CD starts out with "our" song, "You got it bad" by Usher. Then goes into a slew of some of the MOST cheesy love songs ever written. However, second up on the CD was NSYNC, "God Must Have Spent". To this day, I know in my heart I must marry a man who will allow me to play this for our wedding song. I think it strange how the one person I found who truly understands me was used up in high school :) WHY!

There was a CD of bootylicious songs, (PS when one writes bootylicious it is not underlined as a misspelled word..why?...because it is part of our english language!!!). There was "Big Booty Hoes" and "Smoke Weed Everyday"...oh and one can't forget "It's the remix to ignition, hot and fresh out the kitchen"...ahhh high school!!!

Then there was the few mixed CD"s still from college. I was a late bloomer in iPOD land. There was a wonderful mix of country love songs that reminded me of Jeffrey and the special time we shared together. The mix of Britney songs which helped me justify many a sexcapade. And last but not least a water polo graduation CD which had me in tears missing all my friends yet being so grateful for the times we shared.

Through the soundtrack of the last decade of my life, literally as I will be the ripe age of 25 in less than a week, I realized a few humbling yet enlightening things.

One: The world really and truly does move on. While listening to some of the songs I remembered how much hurt and pain one goes through with break ups, heart ache, unrequitedness, bad life decisions and everything in between. Yet I am still here! I am still living my life in service and humble justice to humanity. I survived. I will survive still.

Two: I love the girl and woman I was and am. The girl who plastered Justin Timberlake posters on every inch of her bedroom walls and who later loved way too deeply for her own sake is still very much a part of me today.

3 comments:

Ali Penland said...

I still play "The Yogurt CD" you made me in SoCarolina.

Ms. Ulmer said...

YES! I cannot even remember why in the world I named it "yogurt"..can you? What is on the CD? I'm curious!

james said...

This is great and so true.

I miss you. So so so so much.

PS, we had a discussion about the South African runner last night. Didn't realize she was only EIGHTEEN. It's so difficult for me to process that happening to anyone, but for such a young athlete...my heart hurts.