Monday, July 27, 2009

Bike Ride: Thought this kind of thing only happens in TV shows and movies


I am competing in the Chicago triathlon at the end of August. I am in no where near the biking shape I need to be in order to not kill myself. So I decided to put in some good mileage on my sturdy Trek 1000 this evening, before meeting my sister for a run (I was a lofty athlete this evening).


I am about 5 miles in, when a young man, also on a bike and decked out head to toe in 'serious' biking gear including matching blue clip toe customized shoes, says to me, "you're pack is open".

First might I add, that this is AFTER having passed him, my legs were pumpin!

So I say, "OH! Thank you!" and continue to reach around and try and close up my little zipper pack which holds keys, bike wrenches, and a small thing of lube (for the chain of course).

The zipper is stuck. Meanwhile, the young man in serious blue biking gear has now taken on the role of 'protector of the woman trying to zip her pack!'. He keeps giving me advice like ' you can get it, just slow down a bit. I've got the road for ya!'.

The zipper is still stuck. So the young man in serious blue biking gear begins to ride his bike uncomfortably close to my bike, and says, "here, I got it". He then proceeds to reach and zip my bike pack. I think it is important here to note that my bike pack is directly under my bike seat. Therefore the young man in serious blue biking gear was uncomfortably close to my behind. What do I say to this, "well this is new and different". That made the situation much less awkward. I highly doubt Ranger would approve of how slightly his hand just happened to graze my butt (although sweaty, it is still a fabulous butt).

He then continues to bike with me along the lake path. We talk about this and that, he gives me tips on how to 'take the turns', how I should really lower my handle bars because I ride much to fast to look so amateur. He then says to me, "I'm going to ride a bit in front of you. Will you tell me if my butt is straight?".

What?

I mean sure it is straight? This young man must have had the impression that I know what I am talking about when it comes to biking, I fibbed and said, "yeah you are peddling straight". I then realize that this is a weird and maybe bike-humor way of asking me to check out his butt...

Towards the end of our bike ride, he notices I have no water bottles. "You should really have water." This I know, but I explain how my two racing bottles were stolen last summer training for the marathon.

He then proceeds to hand me his water bottle. "No thank you, I'm almost done with my ride".

"No" he says, "You can have it. It is a special tall bottle, they don't make these much. Just keep it."

He cordially rides me all the way back down my street. At this point we are done talking about his 'riding soars' on his balls, how he really stresses eating little fiber before a race, and how girls' biggest problem with biking shorts are ingrown hairs.

So he says, "every Monday I'll be out on the path! See you next week!".

I am left a little perplexed, but I have a new water bottle! And I am highly impressed that a young man would be so talkative on the bike path, and in such serious spandex.

2 comments:

jennajo said...

I like this serious bike rider man... he makes me giggle... I can only imagine the giggles you much have been hiding back while discussing ingrown hairs... (ew)

Ms. Ulmer said...

Well yeah. And how would he know what the biggest problem is for women bikers? I am so tempted to ride the same path next Monday just to see what other interesting things happen :)