
Birthdays are a complete anomaly for me. Some people absolutely love their birthdays, letting everyone and anyone know ad nausium weeks in advance that their birthday is on such and such a day, ultimately to elicit oohs and ahhs and fawns and oogling and googling over them on their day. Some people absolutely love other people's birthdays, in an attempt to draw attention away from their own birthday. Some people just seem apathetic to the whole idea of birthdays, not caring or appearing to spend much thought time on the idea, day, or events of a birthday. However, I believe that universally, every single person secretely (some more deeply than others), wishes to have their birthday acknowledged and to feel somewhat 'special' on their own birth day.
Needless to say, my friend just turned the momentous age of 25 (the number I am anxiously and nervously awaiting in a few months). As a woman who has never really had a party past the age of 10, never had a surprise thrown for her, and always felt a bit of a letdown on her day, I wanted to make this day special for my newly turned 25 year old friend.
So I baked a vegan cake. Didn't look like the lovely cake to the right. Looked more like I had no idea what the heck I was doing. Did I mention I had to bake a vegan cake too?
Anyhow, we invited a few of her friends to join us on my rooftop, I had champagne and we toasted to a new year. I wish I could have made it more special, but I truly hope that deep down in her heart she knew how much she was loved and how much she inspired those around her.
Happy Birthday dear 25 year old friend!
No comments:
Post a Comment