What I learned about post structuralist feminist theory is....
I may just identify very closely with post structuralist theory.
First of all, nobody knows what it actually means. Not even wikipedia. Wikipedia actually complicated it much much more.
I always have been intrigued by the power of language. I know that when we say, "that's gay" it has far worse implications and consequences than we can conceive. As a post structural feminist, it is incredibly important to use the correct words because once we put a word on a concept, that is what our concept is for eternity. "Man-kind" instead of "human-kind". Although this seems small and silly, when you say those two words you think of two very different things. We ALWAYS put a masculine term onto colloquial aphorisms and statements and perhaps the repercussion is that sexism will never go away.
Gender is only understood within its cultural context. The words man and woman, girl and boy, would mean nothing if it wasn't for our cultural influences on these concepts. This is completely true because of various cultures that have different conceptualizations of male and female. Some cultures are matriarchal and value the female as the dominant and male as the 'other'. Our culture chose to place the male as the dominant and the female as the 'other' form in the dichotomy of gender.
I love talking about words! How much power do we put into what words we choose without even realizing it!
No comments:
Post a Comment